In Vedic Astrology, Saturn is one of the malefic planets who will cause suffering in different ways. In Sanskrit, Saturn is called Shani. Saturn is a planet of Karma as he presides over our actions. Regular worship to Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy, Tirupati Lord Venkateshwara helps one get protection from the evil effects of Saturn and attracts the blessings of Saturn too.
To ward off the evil effects of Saturn or Shani caused by the cycles of Saturn, one must propitiate him through many ways. One`s problems and struggles can be overcome through sincere prayers to him.
If Shani Dev is in your favour, the sky is the limit for your life! But if you are suffering from Saturn transit, what can you do to please this deva? On New Moon days one must worship Goddess Kali with red hibiscus flowers to mitigate the sufferings caused by Saturn and earn his grace.
ॐ प्राँ प्रीं प्रौं सः शनैश्चराय नमः ॥
Om praam preem praum sah shanayishraya namah
Chanting the Shani Mantra is a way to be blessed by this deva. Best day for initiating this mantra is on Shukla Paksha Saturday or Shani Pradosha Days. One can chant this mantra for 1, 3, 9, 27, or 108 times. Besides chanting mantra, it is believed that feeding crows on a daily basis or at least on Saturdays treated as an act of charity to appease Shani Bhagawan. Feeding them with Sesame Rice is preferred but, you can also feed plain cooked rice or breads.
3 Other Powerful Mantras of Shani Dev
” Om Sham Shaneshchraya Namaha ”
“Nilanjana Shambhanam, Raviputra Yamagrajam – Chaya Marthanda Sambhootam, Sham na mami Shanischarya” – This is the Vyas Vicharita Mantra of Shani Dev.
“Suryaputro Deergadehi Vishaalakshaha Shivapriyaha – Mandacharaha Prasannaatmaha Peedaam Haratahu Me Shaniha.” – This is the Puranokta Mantra For Shani Dev.
” Namaste Konsanstahcha Pingalaya Namostu te |
Namaste Bhabrurupaya Krushnaya Cha Namostu te ||
Namaste Roudradehaya Namaste Chantkay Cha|
Namaste Yamasadnyaya Namaste Souraye Vibho ||
Namaste Manadasadnyaya Saneshchara Namostu te |
Prasada Kuru Devesha Dinasya Pranatasya Cha ||
Koshasthayya Pingalo Babhrurukrishno Roudoye Nantko Yamaha |
Sauriya Shaneshcharo Mandaha Pipladena Sansthutaha ||
Etaani Dasha Namami Prataruttha Ya Ye Patetha |
Shaneshchrayakruta Peeda Na Kadachitabhavishyati || ”
Process to chant Shani Beej Mantraand Other Shani Mantras
- Start on a Saturday by taking a bath and wearing clean clothes.
- Wear a black cloth if possible while you pray to the Lord.
- Fast on Saturdays and eat sattvic diets.
- Give alms to the poor and needy, esp black clothes.
- Refrain from alcohol.
- Say the Shani mantra – a minimum of 108 times or one rosary.
6 Ways You Can Appease Lord Shani Dev
- Start by becoming spiritual and righteous in your acts and decisions.
- Lead a sattvic life and stay away from alcohol and addictions completely.
- Become disciplined in life.
- Stop eating meat and being cruel to any other beings.
- Always try to help the poor and the not so fortunate around you.
- Chant the Shani beej mantra and offer Mustard oil to Shani Deva on Saturdays. If you do not have a Shani temple near your home – then offering Mustard oil on a Peepal tree will also help.
- Fast on every Saturday.